Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sumo, karaoke and Bangkok

Getting up at 6 for the second day in a row wasn't as bad as the first. It was a very cold morning on the 20 minute walk to the sumo stadium. It paid off getting to the stadium about an hour and a half early because the line ended up wrapping around the building. So then we had our sumo tickets at 8:05 am, and another whole day to see the city. We got some breakfast in akihibara and walked around until we got hungry again and went for the Turkish Kebob sandwiches again. They are so good. As I was not initially impressed with akihibara, I warmed up to the city the more time I spent there, plus it wasn't as sleezy and touristy as others. A variety of interesting shops, restaurants and bars all packed into several blocks. We traveled south down to Shiodome to have a beer of the 42 floor of a skyscraper with an amazing view of the city. Then back up to see sumo at 2:30. We stopped by a 7-11 to stash some beers and snacks to sneak into the stadium until we saw people bringing whole grocery bags with food and drinks. Completely different stadium concept than in the US. The stadium was really nice and there were about 6-8 thousand people there. I picked up a radio and tuned to an English commentary station which gave me a lot of info. Sumo is interesting, a lot like bull riding. You wait and wait and wait only to see 8 seconds of action. The guys were huge and the action got more exciting as the day progressed. We were lucky that the emperor and empress of Japan attended the tournament.

After sumo I split up with the guys, as they were headed to another hostel. I had intentions of catching up on my blog and pictures and etc until I met a group of people in the common area. We started taking about sumo and other things to do and next thing I know we are headed to get some rotating sushi in akihiabara. After that we walked forever looking for "Nomehodai" all you can drink. Finally found one in a back ally near our hostel. 2 hours of all you can drink for about $15-$20 USD... I don't remember lol. After we were cut off we set out to find one of the famous japanese karaoke bars we kept hearing about. we found one just down the street and got a private room for 2 hours, a dictionary of songs and 2 tambourines. We started off a little weak but after some more drinks we warmed up to it and it was a blast! They had every song ever. We were all really into it. After that I went back to my capsule and crashed

Monday 1/10, was the first day I've had a chance to sleep in in several days. I got cleaned up and got caught up on some things Travel plans, Emails etc. Forecasting the day flight at 5, airport by 3, train to airport at 1:20. Got all packed up and checked out. I sat downstairs to get caught up on some blogging. Shortly after I got started the guys from New Zealand walked and we started talking about the night before of all you can drink and karaoke. We shared pictures and videos we took the night before and decided that we were hungry. A 20 min walk later we were back in Akahibara and I was in line for another turkish kebob sandwich, to fill myself up for the next 12 hours of travel. I start to head back at 12:40, thinking I had plenty of time. As I get to the beginning of my street 1:10, Shit!! So with 10 minutes, run to hostel, grab my pack, double check train directions, run to the subway terminal, down 3 flights of stairs, buy my ticket (1280 yenn $15) down more stairs and escalator, and to the platform, no train, oh no! Was I too late? It's 1:19... 1:20 train flys in. Whew. Doors closed and train started moving before I even had a chance to sit down. That was too close. The train out of the city was very scenic, cool to see the outer city limits. Monday is a holiday, celebrating 20 year olds - the age you become a legal adult. The parks were packed with people playing sports, waking dogs etc. Got the the airport with plenty of time. Waited by the gate, reading my lonely planet and mentally preparing myself for a big culture shock. As they called standbys to get their boarding pass I waited anxiously in line, wondering if I would be in back for the 7 hour flight to Bangkok: 14C... "I don't know where that is" boarding the plane I count the rows with coach coming up close... Last row in business class elite... 14!!! Fully reclined seats in individual pods, personal tv, amazing! I felt bad for everyone that had to walk through first class and see us pampered with champaign and hot towels. Had a good conversation with the guy next to me, newly wed heading out on their honeymoon, also flying standby. Wife was nice to give him first class. Interesting enough we were on the same flight from SF to Tokyo. 
After touchdown (at midnight) and going through customs, I got a cab to my airport hotel for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment