Monday, January 10, 2011

First day in Tokyo


I decided to wait a bit before I blogged from the first few days. I've covered a lot of the city the and I needed some time to let it sink in and process... 

First: Japanese people
- the past few days I have really observed the flow and behaviors of the people of Tokyo. In general the people are very obedient of standard rules. For example they won't cross a street on red, even if there isn't a car in sight. They automatically cue into line. When the metro comes they all line up into single file lines, wait for the exiting passengers and file in. It's as if their mind set is "I will file in line so we all can get on this train", whereas Americans is "I will push my way through this mob so I can get on the train." they are very unselfish. They are not as openly sharing as the Argentines but they are very respectful and aware of everyone around them. One of the reasons contributing to this behavior is the lack of distracting devices we so love to use. While walking you will rarely see anyone: eating, drinking, talking on their phone, texting, or reading. Smoking is prohibited in the streets except in designated smoking areas. However smoking is allowed is all restaurants and bars which is ironic. They are solely focused on where they are going, who and what is around them. For the most part slower traffic keeps left, passing on the right, and watch out for bikes. Traffic yields to walking pedestrians with a green crossing light. A lot different from Argentina where you had to watch out all the time.

The biggest thing I have noticed is the extreme time and attention to detail put into everything. They are so organized, planned, prepared and efficient. It's pretty inspiring to see how seamless everything flows, at least from an outsider's prospective, they appear to have it all figured out.

Friday morning, after a good nights sleep, I got ready for the day and went downstairs to see who and what everyones plans were for the day. I asked reception what the recommended for the first day - they said travel north to Asakusa and then west to Nueno, south to Akihabara then back east. Literally making a square. I asked around to see if anyone wanted to join, no takers so I head out. It was recommended  
I take the subway up 2 stops but it looked close enough to walk so I loaded up with water and a snack and headed out. 
 Japan had been very cold (35-40s and windy). So put zipped up my jacket, sunglasses and beanie. First thing in noticed walking along the streets was how much I stood out. No one wears sunglasses or hats of any kind. Keeping my beanie on, I took off the shades so I would look as much of a terrorist. Strolling up the streets was a great way to get a feel for the city, and see how everything flows. 

I followed the masses of people flocking toward a souvenir market and a large temple. At first look I had no clue what was going on. People were pouring water over their hands, drinking, spitting, waving smoke in their face, throwing coins clapping and praying. Didn't understand any of it but I did my best follow by example. Asakusa is a more conventional, historic area of Tokyo. Dozens of very pretty temples, rock gardens, bonsai trees and statutes. After roaming around for an hour I set off to Ueno. Roamed another mile of retail stores, small sushi and noodle places, kiosks until I found a map and got my bearings. Across the street was a McDonalds, with all intentions of avoiding American chain food for a month I felt it was a good spot to escape the cold and plan out the second half of the day. The only open seat was on the 3rd floor (yes a 3 story McDonalds) sucks it was the smoking level. I pulled out my lonely planet and read up on the 3 areas of the day and found a blurb about temple tradition:
First you take the ladle by the fountain- wash your hand and mouth to purify yourself. Approach the temple, donate, clap, prey, and bang the gong. Makes sense. Took a stroll the massive park in Ueno with several museums, wasn't interested and set off to the metro station. On the way I passed a smaller more humble temple. I took a peak in the gate. No one there. It was very pretty so I decided to attempt the sequence of ritual. Purified, pray, gong then lit a spirit stick and waved the smoke over my head and face. The stick had a backwards swastika- meaning peace and love I think. It was pretty spiritual, and being the only person added to the feeling. I slowly strolled through the temple yard paying attention the the small detail and hard work into the trees, bamboo work and rock placement. Very interesting.

Akihabara is known as "electric city" for its edge electronics and gadget devices. I was pretty excited to see it. Walking through the streets I saw a ton of tvs, DVDs, iPhones, computers etc, but nothing I had never seen before. Pretty much a bunch if best buys, radio shacks and AT&T stores for 8 square blocks. Initially was not so impressed with akihibara. Getting pretty hungry I found a street tuck selling Turkish kebob sandwiches. The truck had a huge skewer of spinning meat, cut with a sword. The meat was put into a pita, with graded cabbage, onions sliced tomatoes and your choice of sauce. It was awesome, quick, filling and cheap - only 500 yen  ($6)
I set off back to the hostel... Thinking I was going the right way. After about 10 blocks I asked someone if I was headed in the right direction - nope, compete opposite way. I was at least 20 blocks from the hostel and it was getting dark and cold. The man, his name Yoshi, walked me all the way to the metro, and got me situated with what train I needed to get on to get back.
Very nice of him.

Finally getting back I was wiped out. I would guess I walked between 12 and 15 miles that day. I saw a lot and got a great feel for the city. Met some new friends at the hostel and we ended up going back out to akihibara for dinner, now I know how to get there. Coming back at night was a whole different scene. Dozens of restaurants, shops and lights glittered the streets. We searched for about an hour "Nomehodai" - all you can drink, but never found it. Turning in for the night we made plans to get up early and see the fish market at 6:30am...

No comments:

Post a Comment